S.C.A. Projector Specifications
Before transiting the canal, the vessel should be provided with a searchlight (projector), complying with the following conditions and specifications :
- It should be placed on the bow in the axis of the vessel and show the canal
- Specifications are as follows :
A) Minimum range of rediation of single beam 1800 M. Ahead (Brightness of 1 Lux approximately, at the atmospheric transmission factor
B) The power of the lamp must give a luminus intensity of single light beam not less than 3 million candles, which is equivalent to a high efficiency indicadescent of :
- I - 2000 watts for vessels up to 30000 Suez G.R.T.
- II - 3000 watts for vessels over 30000 Suez G.R.T.
- III - Or any kind of lamps which fulfill the specifications, under item
(2) above and to be of the non-explosive type.
C) The drum and stand should be of high corrosion resisting material and can be operated both horizontally and
D) The front glass must be of hardened type and can stand rapid cooling.
E) The reflector must be in two halves of precise ground glass mirror of highest quality or of polished aluminum having at least 95% the reflective capacity of the glass
F) The two halves of the reflector can be brought together (zero position) to make a single reflector light beam and can be part to give two separate light beams, each of 5 degrees at least on the horizontal level with adjustable dark sector from 0 to 10
G) The searchlight drum must be watertight (pressure test 0.25 kg/cm20) and gas-tight (according to the classification rules for the vessel's electric appliances within the dangerous area) and provided with a vent-out of which a flexible hose can be fitted on the drum to dissipate the heated air out of the searchlight in addition to a safety
On vessels carrying petroleum products, L.N.G. or inflammable substances or vessels not gas-free, exit of hot air must be effectuated in a place devoid of inflammable
H) The searchlight must be equipped with 2 lamps carrier that can be turned into position to let the lamp exactly in the focus of the reflector, and the current must be switched on
I) The electric system (switches, plug, socket, and cables) must be of 1st class marine type. The degree of protection IP 55 or similar
J) The searchlight must have a certificate of the "Type Test". This type test must include illuminate test to fulfill the above specifications, issuec by one of the classification societies (Lloyds Register, etc). The original to be submitted to Suez Canal officials and thereby, after test by S.C.A. inspector, the searchlight can be
- On all vessels of whatever type, electric cables, installations for searchlight and all electric connections leading to it, must be permanently fixed, insulated and gas-tight. At the end of the cables, a fixed and fast tight socket should be installed close to the
- On board vessels, electrically propelled or having electrically driven gear (steering, winches, etc.), the number of generators and their individual power output must be sufficient to ensure uninterrupted functioning of the searchlight in the event of stoppage of one of the generators. No exception to this rule will be allowed except when there is an independent generator and circuit on board specifically set apart for the
- A portable projector can be hired locally from the Canal Mooring and Light Company (weight of projector about 22 kgrs). The order for such hire has to be placed by the master during his first (five days) notice to the S.C.A.
- For vessels fitted with their own projector, two shore electricians should operate it during
- Vessels treated as special cases :
A) L.P.G. and L.N.G. vessels, without any exceptions, must be provided with their own searchlight
B) Vessels entering the canal, direct from sea, must be provided also with their own
- If electrical connections and/or searchlight are not in conformity, the vessel is liable to transit only in day-time and therefore, subject to delay. An additional due of $ 4300.00 will be imposed when the searchlight and/or electrical connections are not in conformity from the 3rd transit and each following.